Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

PDA and BBQ

My sexuality isn't something I make a big deal out of publicly. Sure, I'll post about something pro-Gay rights or make mention of it here or there. But for the most part, I try to just live my life as any other person.

Tonight, though, an issue came to a head which I had to raise with my boyfriend. See, there's this little BBQ place near here called Dan's BBQ. It's a fantastic little place with good BBQ and a DELICIOUS sauce that's always fast and friendly.

It's also very, very conservative.

I'm talking, pro-gun signs, pro-God signs, an absolute atmosphere of conservative (and traditional right-wing) expression. It's also the best BBQ place in town, so Chris and I have been eating from there for the last two years. We enjoy the food, the service, and the atmosphere is even a little charming in ways.

However, a single caveat was always present: We did not act like a couple in the restaurant. We dressed conservatively, we didn't have any physical contact, we wouldn't even call each "hon" or "sweety" or any of our stock pet-names. On an occasion I had, he quickly reminded me that I should be wary, as so not to offend the clientele or the actual staff.

Now, this staff had been known to speak their minds. Telling parents to quiet their children, asking people to leave for inappropriate behavior. We knew it was in our best interest, if we wished to continue our patronage of this establishment, to refrain from projecting any semblance of affection.

Over time, though, something grabbed me on the inside. It tugged at a nerve in my brain, but like a passing itch, I would either just idly touch on it or let it go. However, over the course of the last few months... it came to my attention that it in fact was not a passing itch. It was an issue to be thought out and discussed.

I realized that there was a succinct moral issue that I couldn't any longer abide, and that was acting like something I'm not for the sake of someone else' approval. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't make our with Chris in public. Sometimes we'll hold hands, but usually, it's just a common shoulder bump, maybe a quick peck. But we would always refer to ourselves with the aforementioned pet names, like most couples. We're not showy, but we ARE a couple, and after a while it all sank in that it was not worth acting like we weren't for decent Louisianan BBQ.

Chris, on the other hand, feels that it's not so much of an issue for him. He also thinks that, instead of patronizing the restaurant further but allowing ourselves to act naturally (thus risking the ire and subsequential retaliation from the establishment), we should just stop eating there. This is understandable and, while I don't necessarily agree, I don't hold it against him nor do I think a modicum less of him for it. I would rather we try and be proven right or wrong, one way or the other. I don't necessarily want to TEST it, but I do want to at least give it a chance.

It should also be noted that, while we do live in Lake Charles, Louisiana, this is honest-to-God the only establishment we've gone to where this has been a concern. Every other restaurant or store, it's not an issue. Just this one, considering it's atmosphere.

I mostly make this post because... I am legitimately curious what people will think. It's a curious situation that I'm not sure how to handle 100%.

7 comments:

  1. I think you absolutely should test it. And if they don't make a big deal of it, awesome! If they do, then you can be another news story helping to raise awareness and fight ignorance across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you're both coming from, to be honest. You should be allowed to be yourselves, to express pet names and such other things where ever you may please, even in a very... conservative place. It would certainly be a very big deal if you were to act naturally and get kicked out of the place should any news agency get wind of it.

    And hell, they have good food. I understand the drive to patronise a place even if you disagree with their moral standing because of the delicious noms. (It's Chik-Fil-A for me, btw)

    But, I also see his. Why go there if you feel it prudent to 'fit in' in order to avoid the shame of being kicked out for being everything but what they want you to be? Why support a place with your hard earned money when you can't be you and they clearly are against who you are?

    The raging gay rights activist in me says GO IN AND EAT AND CALL HIM SWEETIE. The person that hates conflict says just don't go there.

    Logically, I'm going with not going. Hit em where it hurts. While it may not be something they'd actively realise, you can hurt them more by spreading the word that they're bible thumping, gun shooting homophobes. Money counts, and if they're too good for your gay money then they clearly don't need your support.

    Home made BBQ is better anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no reason not to give it a chance. Worst case scenario, they ask you to leave and you do so. They lose two customers, But if nobody does anything, great! You go on eating the delicious steak or whatever it is people eat at BBQs. If the food is as good as you say, it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you say they're conservative, I know everyone and I mean EVERYONE could speak their minds, but if you mean that certain things well you wanted to do Kaiser and they act on discrimination.. Which practically that would be as is.

    The reason I brought that word up is because any other way that could be in a scenario where, if I was working at a restaurant and I seen two dudes kissing. Now I would feel weird HOWEVER, I just have to let it be. They here to enjoy food instead of being uncomfortable in a restaurant. I would fail to care that you could do a good damn job in spit shining tables and talk sweet things about the menu and specials. However I wouldn't appreciate being discriminated and I believe no one wants to be discriminated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say go for it mate. How you go about it is up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say, move here to North Carolina. The people are friendlier, and the BBQ is better, lol! But seriously, be out loud and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel uncomfortable about my sexuality here in New York because there are areas where you can get beaten up for being gay

    ReplyDelete