Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So, I thought I'd just drop in with a little something to kind of make this all a little more personal.

I'm a social liberal... for the most part. I believe in pro-choice, I support the right for homosexuals to marry, I don't want religion to have any part in government, and I'm for a certain amount of gun control.

I somewhat support legal marijuana, but only to the extent where responsible, educated individuals can enjoy it and believe there should be severe repercussions for those who can't be responsible. No, I do not partake, nor do I wish to.

As far as immigration goes, I personal prefer tighter standards, though I believe that any child born and raised to adulthood in this country should qualify for citizenship.

I'm a mixed bag on the death penalty. While I understand that keeping these people alive is a drain on our economy, I also don't approve of unnecessary death. Killing in self defense is acceptable, to me. Killing a prisoner... It's just difficult to justify. It's not because of sympathy, either. It's just a moral qualm. Don't get me wrong, though, I understand that there are some people who are beyond redemption and... well, perhaps it's better for all of us if they no longer waste our resources.

I flat out support embryonic stem cell research.

Euthanasia & Physician-assisted suicide... That's a rough one, because I believe that people should have the right do with their lives as they wish. Ending it should be one of those rights. However... there are some people who make hasty decisions when depressed, in pain, and so very sick. I also worry about coercion from any side.

Health care is an issue I don't think I'm qualified to express my opinion on, to an extent. I do support it, in theory, but I don't think people should be forced to opt into it. Also, we could be using our tax money on... a billion other things.

Oh, and taxes! Raise'em. Cut the Bush tax cuts for the rich. This shit is ridiculous.

Climate? Global warming? Uh, well, see... um... 'bout that... *Has not done nearly enough research! LEAVE HIM ALONE!*

I believe that covers most of the topics I actually feel one way or the other about. If there's anything else, just ask. I'm very open for discussion!

11 comments:

  1. So I'm guessing, then, you're not a fan of libertarian policies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @James I'm not even sure what they -are-.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kaiserneko: Well, here's a link to the party platform, but the best way to sum it up is "socially liberal, economically conservative", i.e. gays can get married, smoke pot, and have lower taxes.

    http://www.lp.org/platform

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you feel about education and the cuts that have been affecting programs across all schools?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @fxsrt It's ridiculous! We're depriving our kids proper education. Personally, I think the reason politicians don't give a shit is because they can afford to send their kids to private schools and want the rest of these kids to do poorly. We need gardners, trash men, and people to serve them their food, and it's certainly not going to be THEIR children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually from a solely economic standpoint, it is cheaper to keep someone for life in prison without parole than to sentence them to the death penalty. http://www.crawfordstake.com/2006/08/death-penalty-myth-1-its-cheaper-than.html

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29552692/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

    Also, what is your opinion on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the size of the military's budget, and war in general?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks dude, thats what I've been saying! In our district we are losing a number of great teachers. Also I agree with the majority of what you say. Although the thing about Marijuana, I really don't think it could ever be legalized because of all the negative effects it can have on a person's ability to make decisions. I won't lie I personally think that no individuals can handle it. Although I've only seen the individuals that have suffered from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting and concentrated post. I also semi-agree with Kaiserneko because their should be nothing wrong with homosexuality and weed. Weed is a natural plant, and you dont need statisitics to prove that government and religion are greatly influenced by sexuality. It just happens that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Immigration, THANK you, you're looking at it from a logical standpoint.

    Although speaking as a Florida resident, I think it should be a bit more enforced that English be learned here. My grandparents had to do it when they fled here from a Russian internment camp decades ago, I fail to see why anyone else should be exempt.

    The death penalty I can understand your position on the fence. On the one hand, they've killed/raped/commited _____ and one could say karma's biting them in the ass and whatnot, but there's the other hand of it's committing murder because someone committed murder.

    Marijuana I honestly want legalized, but there needs to be rules about it. Keep it like alcohol, but slightly more enforced, sort of like your "responsible, educated individuals" bit. I personally support it because it's helped me in ways I didn't expect. I started only as an alternative to breaking insomnia, and it's helped me in ways I couldn't have imagined. I'm more motivated to do things now more than ever, I have a positive outlook on life, rather than a cynical one, and on top of that, it's even improved my grades (go figure).

    Speaking of education though, that pisses me right off. Now, before that's interpreted the wrong way, I mean that it's absolutely ridiculous that if a class does poorly on, whether it's standardized testing, teachers, or the actual building, how the chilly Hell is said school supposed to improve itself when loses funding because of it?

    Riddle me that one, Bats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Death sentence is a necessity. One, it discourages potential criminals. Two, you can't make prisoners work as it takes jobs away from law-abiding citizens! Every person in prison is a dead-weight to society, basically.

    But as easy as those things are for me to say, I'm much like many other people, in that I'll eat the beef, but I don't want to kill the cow!

    ReplyDelete